Sunday, 29 March 2009

Flower Brooch Tutorial


I have posted this same tutorial on the Shabby Chic Cafe but thought I would also put it up on here for any bloggers who might want to make a flowery brooch. Also, this is my first blogging tutorial so please let me know if anything doesn't make sense, although it is pretty easy peasy!
To make one of these flower brooches you will need a piece of felt, at least 2 different types of fabric (can be more than this if you want to use up lots of scraps) scissors, thread, needle, button/beads, and a brooch back if you want to make it into a brooch. I have not used interfacing on my brooches so they have a raw edge, which I think gives it a bit of a ruffled look, but if you want a smoother look you could use interfacing.




Now cut a circle shape out of your felt the size that you want your brooch to be (this can be done freehand and be as big or small as you want.)




Now you need to cut out lots of little circles of your different fabric choices (I used the bottom of the thread spool as my guide, but again can be as big or small as you want, and as neat or messy as you want) If you are using interfacing it needs to be attatched to the fabric before you cut your circles out.


You should now have a pile of little circles like this ::




Next take a small fabric circle and fold it in half, and stitch it (just one stitch will do) to the edge of your large felt circle ::



Now take your next circle and do the same, overlaying it slightly, and keep going ::





Keep going all the way round your felt circle ::





Then start on your second row (these circles should cover the stitches of your outside row) ::




(I have just used the one length of thread to attach all these and there are no knots at the back but you could do this if you wanted it a bit more secure)


Now finish your second and third (and maybe fourth if yours is bigger ) row ::





Add a button/beads to the center to cover the gap of felt left in the center::




Now sew on your brooch back (stitch any ribbon you may want to hang down from your brooch to the back of the felt first before adding the brooch back) ::





And there you have your brooch. If you didn't have a brooch back you could use a safety pin or just sew it straight onto something.




Please let me know if anyone makes one, I would love to see it

27 comments:

  1. What a lovely, easy to follow tutorial, thank you. The brooches are lovely.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love this tute, I saw it over on Shabby Chic Cafe, and its lovely might have a go today.
    Iv been reading your blog for a while and thought it was about timeI introduced myself. Your quilt in the last entry is lovely too!!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness its lovely and I am going to give it a go today!
    Thank you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tutorials and yours is really well written and easy to follow, thanks for being so generous and sharing it with us all will definately give it go soon! Lisaxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute, I'll have a go...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's brilliant, thanks a lot for posting the tutorial up, I must try!

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a comment for your last few entries as I havn't been on for a few days...the items ou have been making are brilliant LG....love your make-up bag and the tote they are all great and your tute looks so easy even I could follow it lol...well done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make it seem so easy I might just have to give that a go.

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ya ..Love your broach very easy to follow and i WILL..be making some Lovely Thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very good at this sewing stuff!!
    Very good indeed - great tutorial

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing that Jem, I enjoyed that, I will have a go now!

    And as for your quilt it looks absolutely gorgeous, well-done, you clever girl.
    Have a lovely week love Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial I made a brooch and the instructions were very easy to follow thanks.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Littlw Gem...


    I'm loving my bag too!
    Its so pretty!

    I'm very busy today doing housey jobs, having a change around...xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that looks easy enough for even me to do!!
    Great tute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Gem. Not sure when but i will get round to making one of these one day, as it's lovely. Can you tell me of anywhere i can buy good but cheapish pinking shears?? I've only seen them for 24.99, is that right?? x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made one of these for my MIL the other day Gem and she loved it. :)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are very clever - I'm still lusting after your quilt!!!!
    I will have a go at these brooches they are very pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, thanks so much for the lovely comment you left on my blog, it has made my day! Your blog is fab and I will be having a go at this brooch as soon as I can get my hands on some felt. I will let you know how it goes! Kate x ps. Your sewing looks great from what I can see!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Thankyou for visiting my blog today! I love your brooch it such a great design!
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I have made a couple of brooches and they look pretty good even if I do say so myself! (I have put some pics on my blog). Thanks very much for the tutorial, I have been wanting to make something like this for ages. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOw what a lovely tutorial, I'e just come across your blog and it's lovely!
    Emma:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That tutorial is just fab, and so is your blog. Discovered you a few weeks ago and am now hooked. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely! I will deff. make loads of these to have on hand for birthdays and christmas. I am very poor and can't afford much with my allowance so making presents is high on my "to-do" list. Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing Gemma!

    Thank you very much ; )

    All the Best,
    Carine Calé

    ReplyDelete
  25. This blog is very interesting I Like to read story about how the people get something accomplished. This is the reason why i spend all my time just reading i really enjoyed. And i love the blog that contain helpful information and learn about it.
    costa rica homes for sale

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved your tutorial! I used it to make flower shoe clips and making hair clips for my bridesmaids! I'm a nurse so I have like zero time between work and planning my wedding so I bought pre-cut fabric circles from SweetSweetCircles. She's on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop/sweetsweetcircles (I love sharing sources! lol). It was fast, cheap and friendly and I got my project done in a couple of hours instead of running around to the fabric store and then cutting out all my materials. Boom! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice work! I would love to try when I got time.. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem