Friday, 24 April 2009

Some Craftiness and Something Achieved

A bit of a late in the day post for me, although I have been on the mac all day doing uni work I
now have enough time to do a proper blog post - and with some pretty photos too, because photos make a blog so much more enjoyable don't you think? I have a few little bits and bobs to show, plus some pretty things just for show, like this photo below. No real reason for it, only that it caught my eye today and I took a photo of it. It is at the end of my bed, my two rosali cushions and my handmade Union Jack cushion. Oh and the quilt, which is still the wrong way up because I love the backing fabric so much and I think it goes really well with the rosali too.




The other end, more florals, and some polka dots too. This duvet set is from Dunelm Mill, and is rather muted for me, usually I am full on clashing floral prints! But I thought that might detract from the quilt so I went for white.





I was doing a bit of tidying and re-arranging and moved this lovely brooch I received in a little swap a while back made by the wonderfully talented Sew Hot Mitmot. I thought it would look good pinned onto the Union Jack cushion.


I love the vintage blue fabric in it, infact I saw a really similar print on a pillowcase in the charity shop today and had to leave it as I had no cash on me. I am thinking I might have to go back tomorrow and see if its still there. There was also a green duvet set in that retro floral print (does anyone know what that sort of fabric is called? The fab Kitschen Pink has a beautiful collection of these sorts of fabrics)



Matches pretty nicely I think, it will stay here a while.




I also posted off a custom order tote bag and a matching floral brooch from my blogshop today to a lovely blogging lady for her daughter's birthday. I really hope it goes down well with the recipient. These are my new handmade labels - what do you think? They are quite simple, I could probably jazz them up a little bit.


Its made from the lovely lilac paisley fabric that you may remember I recieved a while back from a lady on the Shabby Chic Cafe.
The tote is lined with the same fabric and has a lilac ribbon on the front for decoration. I really love this fabric, it reminds me so much of eiderdowns. It has a very pretty vintage feel I think.


And my something achieved was this, sewing in my first ever zip, it was just a tester using an old zip and was just as hard as I imagined it would be! Cant quite get my head around the inside out wrong side right side thing.


I think this flowery blue fabric is pretty cute, its vintage, and one of my best charity shop fabric finds!


Practice makes perfect! X

19 comments:

  1. Another lovely bag someone is receiving, I'm sure they'll love it.

    Well done on your first zip... I'm still too nervous to pull my sewing machine out of it's box and have a play!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous LG ... lilac is one of my favourite colours ... I have to admit I am a zip avoider but must now get down to using them now that I have a decent machine with an instruction book. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your crafty bits,Gem...
    and your taste in fabrics too!
    Have a good weekend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    Mel here!

    Just popped by to say hi and say what a lovely post, so pretty and bright!

    Hoping to be back soon one day...

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gem, your bed is far too pretty for even sleeping in! well done with the zip, I have yet to attempt one! have a great weekend, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there
    as usual your blog is just full of lovely pretty things :-)
    J will be very lucky to get that bag for birthday its so nice!!
    love the vintage fabric for the bag and well done with the zip :-)
    lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh what an abundance of prettiness....lovely LG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photographs :)

    I adore the bag and know it shall be well loved and well used :)

    Well done on the zip, I have some here to do though have always put it off thinking it would be too difficult though may now have a go too :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. everything looks just wonderful. you are right about the vintage fabric i used in the brooch - it was a sheet - lucky for me mum had bought them years and years ago and then never even unpacked them - i found them lurking at the back of her airing cupboard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those fabrics are beautiful! You have inspired me to start sewing!
    I love your blog, and I hope you dont mind, but I've added your blog onto my blogroll on my site.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Take Care
    Melanie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great pictures, with wonderful fabric and crafts - it's been inspiring to look at it all! I'm planning a mega-crafting two days on Mon and Tues, so I need all the inspiration I can get. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you new bits Gem, the lilac tote is gorgeous!

    Love and blessings
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great job you have made of the little zipped bag - I can't believe it is your first attempt it looks pofessionally done.
    Love your bedding, matching but non matching if you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete
  15. what lovely pictures. I think your labels are gorgeous, as is the tote. Your bed is looking incredibly pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there, I was just wondering, do you know of anyone who is looking for a swap partner? I am longing to join in on this swapping lark, so any help you could give me would be greatly appriciated.

    Thanks So Much
    Melanie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bag is gorgeous ! Well done with the zip .

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much loveliness!...I love your Union Jack pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love everything especially that duvet cover where the spotty cushion is sitting.

    Is it a Cath one or something else?

    Truly gorgy.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem