Friday, 10 July 2009

Fabric and Thrifting

I got this Amy Butler fabric from John Lewis the other day, it is not the sort of fabric style that I would usually go for, but I thought it was subtle and pretty and might make a good fabric for a bag (another one!?)
As I was leaving John Lewis I saw a woman wearing a handmade smock dress in an orange and pink Amy Butler fabric...now its got me thinking I wanna make clothes (but I bet I couldn't follow a pattern!)


I popped into the Charity Shop near me yesterday and spotted these fab curtains, and so they came home with me...



I unpicked the stitching and was pleasantly surprised to see along the selvedge was Laura Ashley dated 1996.




I thought the flowers were very pretty and it has now been added to my fabric stash - which is growing rapidly!! X

12 comments:

  1. I love that LA fabric. Very pretty. It's so satisfying to find something like that in a CS. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That LA fabric is gorgeous! I haven't seen that design anywhere before. The Amy Butler is very pretty as well :)

    mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gem, love the amy butler fabric. Have that pattern in some of her crafting papers that she does for K&Company. You should try sewing clothes, start off with a simple tunic style, they are real easy to do and there are no fiddly zips or buttons. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great new fabric, esp the floral one!

    Good luck with tackling clothes making!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely fabrics! You and I have been having similar experiences, as I was blogging about finding LA fabric in my (French) charity shop only yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Laura Ashley fabric - lovely colors. And great, you´re starting to grow your fabric stash -it´s addictive to say at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the LA one Gem, I think you got a bargain :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long live fabric stashes!! And what lovely fabric it is to stash too! Top finds...well done ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, growing fabric stashes. Gotta love those!

    Don't be afraid to start making clothes. It's really not that hard. Start with some skirts, or frocks. It's easier than it looks, really! Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on finding those curtains. I really like that pattern and haven't seen it before

    ReplyDelete
  11. LG I believe you could tackle anything you put your mind to and that includes making clothes, you have deinitely got a flair with fabric and putting complimetary designs together...I used to make the childrens clothes many moons ago and if I can follow a pattern with no teacher to hand I'm sure you could, go for it and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  12. how lucky you are that LA fabric is lovely, i've always wanted to give clothes a go, but am too scared to chop into so much fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem