Thursday, 11 March 2010

Little Monsters

I am really pleased that my classes at Emporium are going down well, and have been asked to run another craft workshop, for which I could chose the subject. I wanted to keep to the sewing theme, but maybe make it a little more open to boys as well as girls. I had a think and came up with a workshop making soft toys/animals/monsters and made some samples yesterday.
For my sewing classes I have largely been using my own templates and tutorials, but I felt that for the toy workshop I might need a bit of help from the www.
So I had a little look through Flickr, and google and found some simple templates that hopefully will be easy enough for kids to make within and hour. 


So I made these three little guys below, which are really the first softies I've made.
 I think they turned out alright, what do you think?



This little monster - who due to my choice in colour now looks like a little devil is made from a pattern and tutorial by RevoluzZza who has a wonderful blog and some brilliant tutorials too. I accidentally managed to sew the face on upside down though, so his ears should actually be his legs! Oops! I also changed his mouth for something a little easier for the children to do, some felt cut into zigzags to make teeth then stitched on by hand.



The bunny pattern is again by RevoluzZza, tutorial here. I have made mine a cross between the two styles, it doesn't have arms or legs, but it has a patchwork face, with buttons for eyes and some embroidery for the nose. I think this one was the hardest of the three, but would be really good to make around Easter time.

Lastly this retro looking owl softie, made very simply from this tutorial here on craftstylish.com.
I think he is my favourite and am really pleased with how he turned out!


I just need a couple more ideas for different animals and things, I was thinking robots for the boys and maybe dolls for the girls? Any thoughts from those of you with little people? X

18 comments:

  1. Awww, I love the little bunny. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're great. Kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the bunny, i've seen something like that before and really want to make it...i must get my butt in gear, there are so many things i want to do. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bunny is so cute. Are you going to make these for your online shop? Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so cute!! Kids will have great fun with them!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww they are all so cute, the kids will love making them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all so cute, I'm going to try and make a few bunnies for my little darlings for Easter. Thanks for the inspiration,xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done Gem they look fab - we did owls like that in school where i do crafts once a week :-)
    robots would be fab !! or on the monster theme (only because I know Jacob would love it )- something like Mike from Monsters inc would be pretty simple? roundish body, long legs and one big eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Gem, I have to say my little one really like robots and pirates. I think the bunnies are cute for the girls and I also am having a go at making skittles, maybe too long a project but I do think anything game related is nice too.

    Good luck

    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think all of them look great, but especially love the bunny. I might take a look at the tutorial and add to our Easter crafting list!

    I really wish there were some craft classes for children in my area, it's a shame you don't live near by!

    Natasha x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bunny Gem. They are all fab but he is my fav.
    My boys love pirates, monsters, dinosaurs, cars. What about a pillow case that they could decorate in the next session? Boys.....hmm. They are so hard.
    I will keep thinking.
    Have fun,
    Rachael XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the bunny hes so cute.. you is very clever.. and i love the idea of the class.. i wish there was somthing round here id go to it !!!...
    boys are quite hard arnt they, how about boats, train and car shapes.. they dont have to be to complicated do they..

    ReplyDelete
  13. How funny and sweet project - and you can use little fabric scraps and odd buttons too! Your posts always make me smile, thank you Gem!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  14. What about vegetables with faces? Least they can work for boys and girls?

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gemma, your animals look fab. Can you get some pics of the kid's ones? I am currently working with a group of 14 year olds. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the critters; esp. the blue fabric on the owl. Great job! The kids should love it.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem