Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Making for Baby

I am an Auntie now!
On 30th May my sister in law gave birth to their little boy and I am now officially an Aunt!
How exciting! Yes another little boy in the family and another with an 'L' name too.


So my little nephew is here and tomorrow I am going to see him for the first time which I am oh so excited about! I asked my brother a while back if I might be allowed to make something for him when he arrived and was waiting on the announcement of the name to start crafting.


Well Lucas is now here, and his nursery has a nautical theme so I'm told, so I made a sweet little personalised cushion with a sea theme. I am really trying to make a dent in my stash before purchasing any new fabric, and I have been successful so far! So I asked a while back on SCC if anyone wanted to swap fabric with me so I could have something boyish and nautical. And once again Claire came to the rescue with an underwater globaltex fabric! Thanks Claire!


Using some blue gingham from my stash, a dash of red polka dot and some details from the underwater fabric appliqued on I made a little cushion. The globaltex fabric is also glittery, which unfortunately my camera hasn't picked up, but it has gold detailing, like the treasure in the chest above. 


The back is a mix of the gingham and the fish fabric finished off with a single button hole and vintage red button. I have also started some bunting for him and the flags are all completed, I just need to dash off in the morning to buy some binding ready to give it to mummy and daddy tomorrow.


Hopefully if you click to enlarge you might be able to see the gold glittery effect shown on the fishes stripes and air bubbles in the photo below. 


And a completely random photo, but I thought my bed looked so pretty today after I made it that I took a photo for my blog! Blue (ten year old - original!) rosali pillowcase, pale blue polka dot duvet and my handmade roses and gingham quilt (yes I still need a quilt, I still get cold!)


Looking forward to lots of cuddles and baby smells (good ones!) tomorrow :)
X

11 comments:

  1. congratulations on becoming an aunt, lovely cushion sure it will look great in the nursery !

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on becoming a Aunt..and your cushion is gorgeous..and im sure it will look great in the nursery!TFS and enjoy your day tomo with lots of cuddles Hugs Clare x Weekend Crafter X

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful Gem!! Hope mum and baby are both doing well!
    I'm sure the cushion will be a lovely surprise!!

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab cushion, I really must work out how to make one to put my sewing machine to good use! Thanks for the buttons, they arrived this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fab cushion and a lovely looking bed :-) oohhh those lovely baby smells, how i miss them - little sweetpea has grown past that stage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Auntie Gem!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big congratulations on becoming an aunt. How exciting. I love your make for Lucas - really works well. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on being an aunt!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on being an Aunt! I love being an Aunt too and so far I have 7 nephews and nieces ageing between 4 months and 24 years old and I am only 33 lol.
    Love the cushion you made for your little nephew. Really cute!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Gemma - how lovely.

    Gorgeous cushion as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That's so exciting!

    The cushion is very cute too!

    Emma
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem