Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Blueberry and Lime Drizzle

I really love baking at home, especially cakes and sweet things, but there is a bit of a problem when it comes to blogging about it which is that I don't make the most attractive looking cakes. Meaning that I very rarely make cupcakes, brownies or anything like that, and I almost never ice a cake. I think I just don't like making icing, I've had a lot of icing fails before, so I tend to chose things like victoria sponge, or chocolate marble cake, or cakes with fruit in them, as there is no need to ice!


But this is one of my favourite cakes to eat, and it is kinda pretty, so I thought I'd share the recipe here for you to try should you wish to do so :)


Blueberry and Lime Drizzle Cake

Ingredients:

225g softened butter
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
250g self raising flour
grate zest and juice of 2 limes
25g ground almonds
150g blueberries (raspberries also work well, or a mix of the two)

For the drizzle:
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
140g icing sugar


Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (if using a fan oven)
Line a 20cm square cake tin (or a 20cm round tin with deep sides) with baking paper.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, then beat in eggs and add the flour. 
Zest the two limes and add to the cake mix. 
Juice the limes, but only add 4 tablespoons of the juice to the cake mix and leave the rest for the drizzle. 
Add the ground almonds to the cake mix, and finally fold in 2/3rds of the blueberries. 
Pour the mix into the tin and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula. 
Sprinkle the remaining fruit over the cake and place in the oven for 45 mins. 
After 45 mins check the cake with a skewer, and if it needs longer, cover the cake with foil and cook for another 10 mins until it is firm.


While the cake is cooking prepare the drizzle. 
Zest and juice the last lime and place in a small saucepan with the saved juice from the other two limes.
Add 140g of icing sugar and heat until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is clear. 


Once your cake is out of the oven, leave it in the tin and pierce all over with a cake skewer/knife/toothpick and then pour the drizzle over the top. 
Leave the cake to cool in the tin before removing.


Display your cake proudly and enjoy a hefty slice with a cuppa "just to check" its safe for consumption!


If you are a fan of lemon drizzles and fruity cakes I think you'll enjoy this, it has a subtle zing without being too sharp, and the blueberries add colour and sweetness too. 
If you do make it I'd love to know, and to see it.
P.S the cake tin size is a bit of a pain, but I think these would also work well as muffins too.
X

13 comments:

  1. oh my scrummmy images, you inspire me- i havent made a cakey for a while-- but i might get some tips from my mum at the weekend ;0)x enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Gemma. I love to bake too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I think I will give that a try-do you thing Blackberries would do insted of blueberries??
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this looks lovely! I'm definitely going to give it a go. Thanks for posting it. I'm desperately craving cake right now and am in a hotel with no sign of cake whatsoever... scandalous!

    Love your photos, looks so pretty and cheering.

    Nicki

    PS thanks for commenting on my utility china post the other day, I'm seriously addicted to the stuff and can't wait to check out some car boot sales and charity stores at the weekend! Remember to keep sharing your finds :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely. I want some! Your kitchen looks so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iy looks absolutely yummy!! Shame I won't be home this weekend as I would probably give it a go. ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gemma, your cake photos look great to me, the drizzle cake sounds wonderful, I know someone who would really like it so I shall give it a try. Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm that looks delicious Gem.
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that looks so yummy. I think we will have to try that. But not at the moment I am all baked out (3 bread puddings, 2 large chocolate cakes and cupcakes)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmmm look's great Gemma!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I have that Cath cup too! :) I really like fruit cakes, haven't tried blueberry and lime as a flavour combination though, sounds tasty. By the way the bunting in your last post looks so pretty in your room! Reminds me that I need to start a sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm this looks yummy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious!

    Victoria xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem