Monday, 15 August 2011

Making Rocky Road

I was thinking to myself the other day that it was probably about time for me to do some baking, seeing as it is in my header at the top of this page, and claims to be one of the things my blog is about. So to ease myself in gently...I've not baked at home for months - shocking I know, but I was getting too cake happy what with the cakes I bring home from work too, so I stopped.
But I have some time off at the moment, and I decided to make some Rocky Road squares yesterday. 


I don't put raisins or cherries (or any dried fruit for that matter) as we have fussy people living here who just wont eat them, and then it'll mean that I have to eat them all, and that is just not good for the waistline - good for the tummy though!


So my ingredients consist of some smashed up digestive biscuits - just broken up roughly, some mini marshmallows (because look how cute they are - how could you resist!?) and some maltesers, which is an idea that I stole from Vanessa at Coco Rose Diaries (thanks Vanessa!)


I just line a shallow baking tin and then chuck it all in, although you probably are not supposed to do it quite like this, I was being lazy though, and it worked just fine...


Personally I would have loved some raisins thrown in, but selflessly thinking of others, I left them out.


Then comes the chocolate, which is a mix of milk chocolate, unsalted butter and a few squirts of golden syrup melted down together. I scattered some extra marshmallows and maltesers over the top just to make it look pretty.


Popped them in the fridge for a couple of hours, whilst I happily decanted some of my smaller baking ingredients into these little Bonne Maman jars, you know the type - chocolate chips, fudge chunks and mini marshmallows!


Slice, and enjoy a square with a nice big mug of hot tea. 


Mmmmmmmmmm...


Little crunchy, chewy, fudgy squares of loveliness!
X

P.S: What do you put in your Rocky Roads? Anything I should try?
X

18 comments:

  1. I love rocky road..yours looks scrummy!!
    What time shall i be round for tea?!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely, I too am fussy and don't eat many nuts and I hate raisins and dried fruit, this recipe looks right up my street though, I shall have to try this one, it looks very yummy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my yours look delicious!!!!
    must give this a try!...Thanks for sharing! love anything with choco marsh mellows and biccys! yummmmy! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can me and Joey have a square each, please, please, please??? ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm Rocky Road one of my favs... wish it wasn`t tho! There is a cafe near to my house who do the most amazing squillion calorie rocky road with snickers,dried fruit,maltesers, crunchie bars, marshmallows and raisins.
    Love the pink bowls!
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made rocky road,but it looks really good...I've given up chocolate(trying to lose a few pounds)otherwise I would be trying it for sure! In answer to your ?..yes it was Lindfield in my post. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh yummy!! We usually buy rocky road slices from Iceland, but as my two love baking - that may be one to try!!
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hazel nuts are scrummy in rocky road :-) Yours looks fab. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh nice, I have always fancied rocky roads but I don't like nuts and most of the ones I have seen have nuts in. Will be trying these ones! Do you have a recipe for the choc mixture you put on top? Jess xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, especially adding maltesers. Genius! I'll definitely do that next time. I make rocky road that way as well. It's always good to have a few lazy baking recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gemma, it was so nice to find your blog today, what a pretty place it is. I love that scrummy creation you have made, woweeee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make an amended version of Nigella's Christmas rocky road, it includes the following - digestives, glade cherries, brazil nuts, coconut, marshmallows, chocolate etc. When I make it I can't stop eating it! Needless to say I try not to make it too often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, I love rocky road. Haven't made it for a while. I really am going to have to stop reading your blog, you are a bad influence! ;-) (my utility china collection is coming along nicely!)

    Take up crochet! You will love it! I couldn't find anyone to teach me so I bought a children's Learn to Crochet kit and followed tutorials on youtube. You really have to stick with it because it feels awkward holding the yarn to begin with (I just couldn't get the tension right) but once it clicks, you're away!

    Nicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks completely delicious and you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah we have the same problem with my boys, they would appreciate your version of rocky road so I might try it, I am about to go on strict diet though so maybe not for a while (I'd just eat the lot) ;) Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo what a lovely easy recipe, I will have to try this! Looks sooo yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made the Humming Bird recipe the other day. It made a MASSIVE batch so I froze some of it for another day. It calls for chopped up chocolate bars so I added mars bars and double decker. They were unbelievable!!!!!! I put on 3lbs!! Worth it though. I'll be blogging about them at some point just so everyone else gets chubby too! Ha haaaaa ha!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gemma,

    Found your blog on Pinterest and thought I would check it out.

    This looks SO GOOD! I'm allergic to nuts so they are perfect for me : )

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem