Thursday, 25 August 2011

The Rose Quilt

Over a year and a half ago, I started this quilt. I chose the fabrics, cut out all the pieces and sewed the quilt top all in one day. Then I went out and bought the wadding needed to turn it into a quilt. I had the backing fabric chosen. All I needed to do was put it together. Sadly that took me a heck of a long time.


Last week I dug it out, laid it all on the floor and sewed it up like a mad woman. Mad because I seemed to have this feeling that I needed to really rush through it and get it done, because I wanted it finished! Just like the bunting that I finished, I also managed to complete this in an afternoon, so I can't understand why I put it off for soooo long. Luckily I still liked it (you know sometimes how you end up hating things that you put off?) and I am so pleased its finished.


Its a mix of Tanya Whelan and Ikea Rosali fabrics, and it has a proper layout (unlike my first and second quilts) and it looks like it was actually planned rather than thrown together. I backed it in the same rosali fabric as its so pretty and I also have the bedspread to match if I want to go completely over the top with it! The way I quilted it was different to before in that I sewed the front and back of the quilt together on three sides, turned it the right way round and then placed the wadding in the middle - kind of like putting a duvet cover on really, and oh my goodness how simple it made the quilting No layers sliding about, no need for hundreds of safety pins, just easy, fast quilting. Also, no need to use that fiddly bias binding - hooray!


Its not perfect, but its finished, and I'm naming this one 
The Rose Quilt


If it hadn't been for my blog, or the incredibly inspiring people I've "met" online I would have never have thought I could have made something like this. To make a quilt from scratch and see it sitting on my bed makes me very happy and I am in awe at some of the incredibly complex quilting that so many people do. I know mine is simple, but I hope that it will be one of those things that will stay in the family and be treasured for years to come. The confidence I have in myself to be able to do these things all comes from being a part of this wonderful online community of lovely people who inspire me daily.


Sorry to sound gushy, but I just thought about it, and realised that I am really grateful to every one that comments and reads my blog, and lucky to have such brilliant blogs to follow and keep me inspired!

Talking of inspired...its almost as if these beauties were meant to be in the same room don't you think?


P.S I am now on Pinterest and totally hooked, are you on it? If so you can find me here.


X

22 comments:

  1. i love your quilt, sometimes i think making things happens and finishes in your own time for a reason, like you say those beautiful pastel colours of the jugs go so well with the quilt colours...Im a slow maker, always things on the go-go but seem to run out of time...the suddenly i'll pick up the brush or fabric and suddenly it all comes together ;0)x pretty things are worth the wait x enjoy your pretties x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Gem it is gorgeous, I love it, don't suppose you fancy coming round to mine and finishing my quilt for me do you? Well it was worth a try haha. This has given me a bit of a kick up the backside though, I really do need to get mine finished xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely gorgeous!!.. you should be so proud of yourself for that piece of beauty!
    well done.. i love the fabrics you've used they all work so well together..

    charl
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh that's super gorgeous! Lovely to have found your blog :D

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow just soo lovely Gem. I really want to make one, but will wait until the kids get back to school and have some time to concentrate on it! I too love the Rosali fabrics, I have both the white background and blue. They are really great value aren't they?
    Ali
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt Gem, the fabrics are really pretty.
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love it! It is DIVINE I tell you! Well done (hearty back pat for you) clever little monkey!

    I'm one of your pinterest followers. It's insane how much I love pinterest. I have to set the timer other wise I am on it all the time and don't manage to do anything in the real world.

    I don't think you were gushy when you said how much you love this blog world. I credit it for keeping my tendency for melancholy away.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your quilt is gorgeous, really really pretty. It is on my list to make myself a quilt too - somthing girly and pretty like yours is right up my street. You know how it is tho, takes me ages to even getting around to starting a project let alone finishing it! Have a great weekend... enjoy snuggling up and admiring your quilt ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely, it looks so cosy and pretty I want one now, love the bunting too, I have seen lots of people on about oininterest but I dare not go on it because I know I would spend too long on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! You talented thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quilt Gem, I love it. I haven't tried quilting myself yet, but would love to have a go at it. I know what you mean about your blog 'mates' and their comments, being inspiring, I feel the same about my blog. Loving Pinterest, I think it is addictive though bee x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am following in love with your room and would very much like to move in with you please.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute room. I found you on Pinterest. I've been there for about a month. Totally, addictive, watch out...he-he...

    http://pinterest.com/thegardenbell/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done isn't that scense of achievement a wonderful feeling. Thanks for the meringue comment I think my oven is a bit hotter than it should be, I will try the blueberry recipe :)
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow that is beautiful, one day, one day I will make one ! x Will follow you on that addicted pin thing, I am Zoe on there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its Beautiful! Did you sew accross it here and there to keep the wadding in place? Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so beautiful! Well done you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the quilt I want!! Is georgeous!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it is perfect actually! I am in love with this one now. It is just the colour I want too. I would love to make one but have a feeling it would never be as pretty as this. Your crockery looks lovely with it too. I like cups and jugs in unexpected rooms, like bedrooms and living rooms. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your quilt, it;s beautiful!!!! Will have to try your way of constructing it, as that binding is time consuming!!!
    Love the co-ordinating china too!!

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! *speechless* I love ur posting so much! Elegant and beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them and will always try to get back to you and visit your blog! xx Gem